Monday, January 20, 2014

Prayer: When Faith Falters

Jesus Walks on the Water

22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

(Matthew 14:22-33 - NIV Translation - Biblegateway.com)

All of us are in a continual spiritual battle. When the battle is one of faith sometimes we don't even recognize it. Even disciples who knew Yahushua personally, and could see Him directly in their presence could falter. Why? Like us, Peter faltered because he did not keep his focus on the Lord. Just like the Father's voice, sometimes faith is quiet. It can be far from the most commanding thing in our lives. 

In this world there are gales, torrents and torments that can be difficult not to focus on. Our Father never fails to see and save us from our circumstances if we just surrender over to Him. Sometimes we need to trust something greater than our emotions or even instincts about our lives (or lives of our loved ones) being in peril. Fear can surely increase pain and sorrow and keep us from following the path made and commanded for us. 

In this past year my faith has grown because there have been a lot of gales. With all of the circumstances, I have had the option of focusing above the water on Our Father and My Saviour or being overwhelmed by circumstances and sinking. I have seen financial precariousness, the sway of emotions and hormones with a blessed and unexpected pregnancy (that is now supposedly days away from week 42), my husband's career change to follow his calling and open a new business (see here), my father injured severely and myself incapable to help him (to name a few). I mention these things because I have already seen answers to prayer amidst these storms. 
With many prayers, and revealing my need to those who were willing to pray with and for me, I have been blessed to have journeyed through this pregnancy with no cholestasis (a liver condition I experienced with the last two pregnancies). In one instance, I have a beautiful memory of my husband anointing me and placing his prayer shawl (talit) over me as the representative covering of Our Father. I felt His Spirit rest upon me in power and peace. I have also claimed less fear and worry (even with added hormones) than I would have habitually accepted about similar even less stressful events in the past. Beyond that, I feel and know in my heart, My Father's benevolence, His desire to bless me and our family. This is only possible because the Set Apart Spirit truly is a gift for all who believe on/in Yahushua; this Spirit is a Spirit of peace and power. The life of Jesus attests to all manner of miracles and healings every day; it is a will, a love and a power for today too. 

Bird family I drew with 4 little ones - believing for the good to come.


Lastly, believe in the encouraging word of God you get from others and that you read in His Word. Sometimes when we feel we are in the midst of oppression we feel far from the promises of Yah. Trust that as surely as you have felt your Father's Set Apart Spirit anointing you to pray for someone or share a word, gesture or love with them, brethren can be truly and rightly compelled to pray (and receive a word) for you. Do not worry if your emotions are so spent or the spiritual battle is so thick it is hard to feel Yah's nearness. Just believe. He has promised He will never forsake or abandon us (Deut.31:6,8). The Messiah was in the beginning and will be until the end (Gen.1 and John 1). He knew each of us before we were ever born, before we came forth from the womb (Psalm 139 - especially verse 13). As He is eternal, these promises are eternal, meant for each believing child (and let us indeed all be like children in this). 

I pray this finds you, regardless of circumstances, believing in His sovereignty and love in your life. I pray Father that I can grow nearer to you in belief, through the sacrifice and salvation offered through the blood of Messiah Yahushua, rebuking all worry, fear, doubt, impatience and frustration by the authority you have gifted us. May this message matter to those who have ears to hear it and may they know in their hearts your love for them and the love that I have for them in my desire to share this sweetness.

With love, 

Natalie

In dark times persevere, you will know the warmth and light of the Father better than before the storm. Here is a short, powerful testimony to the truth, love and light amidst the darkness.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words Natalie. Thank you for sharing your heart. Prayers for your delivery and sweet new baby.

    ReplyDelete